- Build healthy public policy.
- Create supportive environments.
- Strengthen community action.
- Develop personal skills.
- Reorient health services towards primary health care.
- Promote social responsibility for health.
- Increase investments for health development to address social inequities leading to poor health.
- Consolidate and expand partnerships for health.
- Strengthen communities and increase community capacity to empower the individual.
- Secure an infrastructure for health promotion.
VicHealth draws on these internationally nominated action areas and works on:
- creating and using knowledge acquired through research and evaluation
- creating environments that foster good health
- encouraging development of systems that support and sustain good health
- communicating about priority health issues
- supporting organisations to plan, implement and evaluate health promotion activity
- facilitating participation and skill development
- contributing to and advocating for healthy public policy and regulation
VicHealth applies the principles of, and strategies for, health promotion to a variety of population groups, risk factors, non-communicable diseases and in various settings.