VicHealth is the Victorian Health Promotion Foundation, which was established in the late 1980s as part of the Tobacco Act 1987 (Vic).
VicHealth was established with all-party support by the State Parliament of Victoria with the statutory objectives mandated by the Tobacco Act 1987:
- to fund activity related to the promotion of good health, safety or the prevention and early detection of disease
- to increase awareness of programs for promoting good health in the community through the sponsorship of sports, the arts and popular culture
- to encourage healthy lifestyles in the community and support activities involving participation in healthy pursuits
- to fund research and development activities in support of these activities.
VicHealth has a primary focus on preventing chronic disease at a population level (rather than improving individual treatment or disease management).
- We pinpoint and prevent the negative influences of ill health.
- We champion the positives influences on good health.
- In partnership with others, we promote good health.
- We recognise that the social and economic conditions for all people influence their health.
- We promote fairness and opportunity for better health.
- We support initiatives that assist individuals, communities, workplaces and broader society to improve wellbeing.
- We seek to prevent chronic conditions for all Victorians.
We work with:
- all levels of government
- across political parties
- a range of sectors
- health, sports, research, education, the arts, media, and across communities
For more information on the history of VicHealth, see The story of VicHealth: a world first in health promotion and The Victorian Tobacco Act 1987 – the untold story.